Election Guide Home     NewsBF Home

Voting In Boundary County, Idaho

~ Registering to Vote ~ Where to Vote ~ Absentee Ballots ~ Idaho Military and Overseas Citizens ~ Primary elections ~ Changing Party Affiliation ~
County Clerk Glenda Poston
The Boundary County County Clerk, Glenda Poston, is the chief elections officer for the entire county. Election laws specify the duties of the County Clerk as Clerk of the District Court in the electoral process (Idaho Code 32-112).

For questions on elections and voting in Boundary County, call her or Deputy Clerk Cherry Grainger at (208) 267-2242, or visit the clerk's website.

Boundary County Clerk
PO Box 419
Bonners Ferry, Idaho 83805

Phone: 208-267-2242
Fax: 208-267-7814


Registering to Vote

In order to register to vote in Boundary County, you must be a U.S. citizen, have resided within Boundary County for a minimum of 30 days prior to the election and be 18 years of age or older.

You cannot register to vote if you've been convicted of a felony and have not yet had your civil rights restored.

You can register to vote in the Clerk's office at the Boundary County Courthouse. Boundary County residents serving on active military duty anywhere in the world can register by mail using mail-in military registration forms, available at any United States military installation. If you register by mail, please include a photocopy of legal identification.

Whether you walk in or mail in to register, the registration form must be in the Clerk's Office or postmarked at least 25 days prior to the election in which you wish to vote. Mail registrations for Boundary County to County Clerk, P.O. Box 419, Bonners Ferry, ID 83805.

Voters can also register at the polls prior to casting their ballots. You'll need valid identification, such as an Idaho drivers license or identification card and proof of residency (utility bills, etc.). Information required to register, whether by mail, walk-in or at the polls includes your name, sex, postal and physical address, date of birth and length of residency.

Voter Registration Form

Where to Vote

Visit the Idaho Secretary of State's interactive web site, IdahoVotes.gov,  to identify your exact residence location and get step-by-step driving instructions to your polling place. PLEASE NOTE: When using this site, you must enter your new physical address, including your house number and the first three letters of your street name.

There are currently six precincts within Boundary County: Bonners Ferry/Kootenai, North Bonners Ferry, Valley View, Copeland, Moyie and Naples. To see the Boundary County Voting Precincts Map, click here.

Polling sites are subject to change and such changes will be announced on the county website, in the local newspaper and on this site prior to the election. Polling sites are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on election days. Current polling sites are:
Precinct Location
Bonners Ferry/Kootenai Fairgrounds Exhibit Hall
Copeland Mt. Hall Elementary
Moyie Springs Moyie Springs City Hall
Naples South Boundary Fire Station #1
North Bonners Ferry Fairgrounds Exhibit Hall
Valley View Fairgrounds Exhibit Hall
Walk-in Absentee Boundary County Courthouse

Absentee Ballots

Those who cannot or choose not to go to the polls on election day can cast their vote by absentee ballot. Those wishing to vote absentee can pick up applications for absent elector's ballot at the Clerk's office or by using the link below. Absentee ballot applications must be turned in each year you wish to vote absentee. The Boundary County Courthouse is an absentee polling site prior to election day. Registered voters outside the county should submit their application for absent elector's ballot allowing ample mail time prior to the election. Completed ballots must be received no later than 8 p.m. on election day in the Clerk's Office.

2018 Absentee Voter Request Form

Idaho Military and Overseas Citizens

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FPCA) has a form provided by federal law to register and / or request an absentee ballot. You are eligible to use an FPCA application if you are a(n):
  • Member of the Uniformed Services (including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard)
  • Merchant Marine
  • Eligible family member of the above
  • Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, and Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • United States citizens employed by the Federal Government residing outside the United States
  • Private United States citizens residing outside the United States
  • You must be eligible to vote in Idaho to use the FPCA to register and / or request an absentee ballot from Idaho.

You are eligible to vote in Idaho if you:
  • will be at least 18 years old on election day;
  • are a citizen of the United States, and;
  • are an Idaho resident

Residence is defined in the Idaho Election Code as “…Principal or primary home or place of abode is that home or place in which his habitation is fixed and to which a person, whenever he is absent, has the present intention of returning after a departure or absence therefrom, regardless of the duration of absence.”

FPCA’s may be obtained by eligible voters from voting assistance officers within their branch of service, from a U.S. consulate or embassy, and from the Federal Voting Assistance Program of the Department of Defense, Washington D.C. 20301.

Idaho specific instructions for completing the FPCA are available online at the Federal Voting Assistance web site in PDF format.
  • Print out the Idaho FPCA.
  • Complete the FPCA, sign and mail it to your county clerk. To register and request an absentee ballot, your FPCA must be postmarked by the 25th day before the election. If you are already registered and only wish to request an absentee ballot, the County Clerk must receive your FPCA or a written application requesting a ballot by 5 p.m. on thesixth day before the election. We encourage you to mail your FPCA or ballot request in as early as possible.
  • Vote your ballot and return it to your county clerk. (It must be received by the election office by 8 p.m. on election day.)

Primary Elections

Beginning in 2011, a law went into effect that restricts an elector to voting only in the primary election of the political party for which he or she is registered.

The purpose of primary elections in the State of Idaho is to allow members of a recognized political party to select that party’s nominees to go on the general election ballot. Primary elections often are referred to as “party primaries.”

As a result of a federal court decision in Idaho Republican Party v. Ysursa, the 2011 Idaho Legislature passed House Bill 351 implementing a closed primary system. Persons who are not members of a party may not participate in the selection of that party’s nominees. However, Idaho law does allow the political parties the option of opening their primary elections to “unaffiliated” voters and members of other political parties if they so choose. The party chairman must notify the Secretary of State six months prior to the primary if the party intends to open its primary election to those outside the party.

So in primary elections, unless the party chooses to allow others outside the party to participate in its primary election, only registered voters of a political party may vote to select their party’s nominees. In other words, at primary elections, registered Republicans may vote only for Republican candidates, and registered Democrats may vote only for Democratic candidates.

Persons who are registered as “unaffiliated” may not vote for partisan candidates in primary elections unless the party decides to allow them. However, an unaffiliated voter may affiliate with a party up to or on election day and vote in that party's election.

Independent candidates appear on the ballot only at the general election.

Electors can designate their party affiliation with the Democratic, Republican, Constitution or Libertarian Party or select no party affiliation (Unaffiliated) in any of the following ways:
  • Fill out a new Voter Registration Card
  • Fill out a Party Affiliation Declaration form

There are elections on nonpartisan issues scheduled to be held in conjunction with primaries, such as judicial elections, bond or levy elections or possibly state or local question elections. All registered voters are entitled to vote on nonpartisan issues during primaries.

Party registration requirements have no effect on general election procedures. At general elections, all voters receive exactly the same ballot and may vote for any candidate whose name appears on it, without regard to the political affiliation of the candidate or the voter.

Changing Party Affiliation

For a primary election, an elector may change their political party affiliation or become “unaffiliated” by filing a signed form with the county clerk no later than the 10th Friday prior to such primary election, as provided for in Idaho Code § 34-704.

An “unaffiliated” elector may affiliate with the party of the elector's choice by filing a signed form up to and including election day. The application form for an absentee ballot described in Idaho Code § 34-1002, may also be used for this purpose.

An “unaffiliated” elector may affiliate with the party of the elector's choice on or before election day, by declaring such political party affiliation to the poll worker. The poll worker shall then record in the poll book the elector's choice. After the primary election, the county clerk shall record the party affiliation so recorded in the poll book as part of such elector's record within the voter registration system as provided for in Idaho Code § 34-437A.